Friday, June 26, 2009

I Really Should've Hid Those.............

..............Scissors.

Yep, that really is the hair that once adorned my daughters five year old, I'm asserting myself and I saw somebody with bangs and really liked it - head. I can't be sure, but I think it happened, no, I know it happened while I was fixing dinner. She had been playing with the squirt bottle and had gotten her clothes all wet. That's okay, I said, just go upstairs and get ready for dinner. Well, unbeknownst to me, the words "go upstairs and get ready for dinner" meant to change into an evening gown, apply lip gloss, pick out a head band, and oh, that's right, cut your hair. She must've known it didn't turn out quite the way she wanted because she did come downstairs as I was setting the table and ordered me not to look at her. She wanted it to be a surprise. She then proceeded to get into the cabinet that held her box of hair accessories and rummage around for at least enough time for me to think "how cute!" grab the camera and take a picture.

(Note the colors of her evening gown, more suited for fall than summer- but remember, we're asserting ourself!)
So then she disappears upstairs shouting "don't look Mama, it's a surprise!" As we are sitting down to eat she makes her grand entrance complete with evening gown, pearls, flip flops, headband and about 12 sparkly hair clips that I'm sure were added to divert my attention from her missing locks. It almost worked actually until right before grace when I glanced over and saw. Needless to say, after about 5 minutes of tears (mine, not hers) and assessing the damage we said grace and ate our cold dinner.

If you were to ask her "why?" (as I have several times) at first she answered - "I don't know what you're asking."- as if it's the most natural thing in the world to snip off the hair that you've never, ever had cut, ever. Later she did come clean. If someone would've asked me I would've said, "no, not my daughter- she would never do something like that!" Well, never underestimate a five year old girl. In fact, never underestimate a 5 year old girl who is just bonkers over the Korean music group the "Wonder Girls" - because you see, she really, really likes their bangs as much as she likes their music. Motive revealed.

http://wondergirlsworld.com/
So, would you like to see our new little Wonder Girl? Just remember something my Grandpa always used to say- the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is six weeks.................................. just in time for Kindergarten.


No comments:

Post a Comment